About State Department of Gender Affairs
The state department of Gender affairs was created from the Ministry of Devolution and Planning in November 2015, to promote gender mainstreaming in national development processes and champion and socio-economic empowerment of women.
Gender rights and gender equality are entrenched in the Constitution of Kenya 2010, and the department has the responsibility of expanding credit financing to women for enterprise development and ensure equality in gender representation in all public appointments.
The Millennium Declaration signed by UN member States in the year 2000 brought gender issues into focus through Millennium Development Goal 3, which commits Kenya to promote gender equality and the empowerment of women as an effective way to combat poverty, hunger and disease, and to stimulate development that is sustainable. The UN Sustainable Development Goals have further reaffirmed the importance of gender in international development in Goal 5, “Achieve gender equality and empower women and girls”.
Gender concerns are anchored in Article 27 (3) of the Constitution which states that ‘’women and men have the right to equal opportunities in political, economic, cultural and social spheres”, and Article 81 (b) which states that “not more than two thirds of the members of elective bodies shall be of the same gender”. The two thirds gender rule applies in the public service appointments as well.
The State Department of Gender is the technical lead with regard to gender mainstreaming in policies and programmes within the Government; it also monitors compliance with International conventions that Kenya is signatory to.
THE FUNCTIONS OF STATE DEPARTMENT OF GENDER AFFAIRS
- The Department is responsible for the following key functions;
- Coordination of gender mainstreaming into national development
- Formulation, review and management of gender related policies
- Negotiations, domestication and reporting on gender related international and regional treaties and conventions
- Promotion of equitable socio economic development between women and men
- Implementation of Uwezo fund
- Implementation of women enterprise fund
- Monitoring of 30% access to government procurement opportunities for women, youth and persons with disabilities
- Coordination and maintenance of sex disaggregated data
- Establishment and implementation of gender management system
- Coordination of activities on anti- FGM
- Coordination of programmes for the reduction of gender based violence(GBV)